Thursday, September 14, 2006

Holy Cross day


It's Holy Cross day. When I was a kid at school we used to play football against another school called Holy Cross. And get beaten by scores like 11-0. It wasn't, for me, an encouraging introduction to the idea of Holy Cross... But this is a good day. It gives us space and permission to see Christ's death on the cross not only as a moment of suffering and abandonment - which it certainly is [see the barbed wire pic by Jane from mayBe] - but also as a sign that whatever is destructive and de-humanising will not have the last word. The cross is in this sense, a promise of hope. OK, this is not backed up by serious research, but I reckon that the wearing of a cross by people trying to follow in the way of Jesus Christ is, in the UK at least, not that common anymore. And that's a shame, because this symbol has great potential for good. Perhaps the cross needs to be quietly reclaimed from TopShop? Not as a statement of victory, but a sign of hope for the world. Let's wear it, tattoo it, paint it - and allow it to work away at us.

2 comments:

Sarcastic Lutheran said...

AMEN. I was just reading Martin Luther's Wittenburg Disputation (1539)...a really great read actually, and his "theology of the cross" is so powerful. The cross is the baffling, crazy, beauiful, dark love of God at it's highest.

David said...

since my baptism I've been planning to get a small cross/sun cross/crucifix tattooed on the inside of my right wrist. Nothing big or showy, but a reminder for me everytime I shake someone's hand or pick something up.

I think that you've just given me the push I needed to go and get it done!

Shalom, dj