Wednesday, November 08, 2006

the really beautiful game


On Saturday I went back to Hillsborough- a long planned venture with Si Smith - to see the famous but fallen-on-hard-times Sheffiield Wednesday play Leicester. It was great: noisy passionate support, a bag of chips for £1, and the Owls playing in the way they should - passing the ball to feet and attacking. About 2 weeks ago I was on the point of saying to Si to forget it, after the unworthy sacking of Paul Sturrock, but I decided in the end to go. And I'm glad I did. The woman next to me said at the end "great, but why didn't they play like this for Mr Sturrock?" Question: the great south stand (the one with the clock) is now the Windsor Food Service South Stand, the Kop is now named after a local radio station, and - I can't quite believe this - but I'm sure I heard the announcer saying that 4 minutes extra time was sponsored by some company....what else is there left to sell? Wednesday won 2-1.

2 comments:

bigdaddystevieB said...

Your trip to Hillsborough reminded me of my own return to Villa Park after several years to watch Villa play Peterborough (they won 7-0 after Posh’s ex-Villa player was sent off after just 5 minutes!). I’ve just checked and I think it must have been in 1995 (blimey)! I went with a work colleague, arrived at a turnstile and proffered my £10 and the man on the gate just laughed at me! I ended up paying £14 (yes £14!) but found myself wanting to lecture the man in question along the lines of “listen here you, I remember when my Dad could get a whole season ticket to see the Albion for 7 guineas”! Sorry Ian, you really must keep up with the times.....

Anonymous said...

I can't quite believe it but I understand that the Owls beat Leicester 1-4 AWAY at the weekend! Is that the end of a beautiful friendship with Si? Is he having counselling?