Thursday, December 14, 2006

vows are tough


A thought re vows and blessings that we made as community on Advent Sunday coming out of a conversation with someone in mayBe. We might imagine [and did] that in the high that came from making these vows we would feel particularly 'spiritual' in the days following, and that the vows would be relatively easy. Not so. Both of us were finding it tough going. I suppose this isn't surprising. In my experience it's often when we commit to something - anything - that the real testing of that commitment comes, and this I think is true whether we put that down to 'the way life is', or see it - as the Church does and the saints always have done - as part of a bigger struggle between God's good world coming and death-dealing, dehumanising powers. So the struggle is to be expected. How did we forget that? I'm holding onto the idea that we're not alone in this. That Christ is our companion and friend. And that there's a whole bunch of hopeful-falling-rising-dogged pilgrims from around the world and across the centuries who are somehow with us...

2 comments:

Sarcastic Lutheran said...

I'm right with you on this. I'm stumbling toward fixed hour prayer using the Divine Hours (Phyllis Tickle) at rising, noonish, 5ish and when I retire. It's much harder than I thought and I am still waiting to feel "more spiritual", the thing is...I kind of need this sort of discipline because I have spiritual low blood sugar and kind of have to snack on prayer and the Word throughout the day so that I don't crash. It's like preventative medicine I suppose. I'm doing it without a community right now and often think of you guys and of hOME.

ian said...

Funny how for me the idea of spiritual disciplines is more appealing than the reality. It definitely helps me knowing that I am part of a community of people trying to follow the same pattern - there's strength in that. Re you being without a community right now - that's tough, but I hope you can feel that in some way you are part of our community here in mayBe and I'm sure that Matt and the guys at hOME would say the same. We're all in this together. I'm also exploring the prayer thing as being present to Christ. Less words, more stillness.