Wednesday, April 11, 2007

James


Our son James is 21. As of 5.15am yesterday. He started very small. Now he's almost 5 inches taller than me. I love him so much. We had a family meal out last night as we do for everyone's birthday. We talked about times good and times not so good. Of football in the garden - how many games did we play? I miss that. I hadn't realised before he spoke of it last night quite how hard he had found us moving from Cambridge aged 11 [when I had finished residential training.] Ouch, revelations like that cut deep to a parent. Did we do the right thing by our kids? Anyhow, somehow he's emerged from it all very lovely, with a great sense of fun, and very good company. This pic is of him around age 8 or 9.

1 comment:

bigdaddystevieB said...

Happy (belated) birthday James!
Thanks for these thoughts Ian (reminded me of our own "family recollections" over the odd glass of red!) and thanks also for your powerful (and thought-provoking) blogs over Easter. x