Wednesday, May 23, 2007

everything in the universe would love to be iron

Justin is a friend mine, a conversation-maker with mayBe and a Professor of Physics at the University of Oxford. He does all kinds of amazing stuff with atoms and lasers. On Wednesday I got myself invited to one of his lectures. I'm now doing some teaching/facilitating around emerging church themes, and I wanted to pick up some tips from Justin. Very good he was too. My background is arts, not sciences, but somehow Justin got me hooked on the possibility of plasma physics. He speaks of science with the voice of a poet. Like "everything in the universe would love to be iron". I can't remember exactly why everything in the universe would love to be iron - something to do with iron being the perfect elemental structure to hold itself together, I think. This week it's going to be all about the z-pinch and Tokamaks. I'll have some of that please.

No comments: