Monday, December 10, 2007

God help me







Last night was mayBe's Eucharist with Vows and Blessings for the coming year. Pics are from the evening. This is the third year we have done this, each time at the beginning of Advent. I find it a really a compelling moment. Our vows include elements taken from St Benedict's rule, and include learning that we have received from other great teachers like Br Roger and the Taize Community. For my role the opening question and required response get straight to the heart of things:


Q. As mayBe community we commit ourselves to believing and living in the one God has sent, Jesus Christ. Will you seek as our abbot to point the community at all times towards the one true light of the Gospel of Christ?
A: With God’s help and your prayers I promise to serve God and the community in this way.

I know this orientation of the community towards Christ must start close to home - with the demanding task that is me. May God, indeed, help me.

1 comment:

Sarcastic Lutheran said...

Ian,
I feel you. It's a sizable office: guiding community in the way of Christ when we are ontologically no different than those whom we guide. Thank God for the freedom of the gospel.