Saturday, August 30, 2008

David Dark and the space of the talk-aboutable


5 years ago I read a book that really helped me to understand what the project I as working on - an idea for an emerging church community [which evolved into mayBe] - could become. The book was 'Everyday Apocalypse: The Sacred Revealed in Radiohead, the Simpsons, and Other Pop Culture Icons' and the author was David Dark. Since then, whenever the possibility of giving up has seemed attractive, this book has been one of the places of light that I have revisited to remember why I am doing what I am doing, and why it's worth keeping going. So it was wonderful to be able to meet David at Greenbelt. No surprise - he's a lovely man, as well as wise, insightful, and great company. In one of his talks he spoke about Greenbelt being a space of the talk-aboutable - a place where we can muse together about the possibility of life, without there needing to be a fixed destination. Gail took this pic.

2 comments:

James Stewart said...

So glad you got to meet! I kept looking out for you both but never saw you in the same place at the same time.

There's an interview with David (where I think he came up with the phrase "space of the talkaboutable") among the many videos we got posted on qik.com -- http://qik.com/groups/644

Ian Adams said...

Hi James - many thanks for your efforts to get us together - and I'll check out the video. peace Ian