Monday, March 30, 2009

kick out the ELV's

I feel as if I'm losing my love of rugby union. The new Experimental Law Variations and/or their implementation seem to be killing the game. The 6 Nations was contested by 6 largely identikit teams, playing a defence-based game, with forwards strung out across the pitch, the ball coninuously pinged down the field looking for a mistake or waiting forever at the back of a ruck to be picked up, non existent scrums and way too many impact injuries. I hope the great and the good of the game will sort it but I'm not holding my breath. If you want to hear some expert views check out Eddie Butler and Shaun Edwards on the Guardian website. I'm off to look for a game with soul, drama and variety. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

bigdaddystevieB said...

I'm totally with you Ian!
A group of us from school watched most of the games in a Bristol pub and, somewhat amazingly, there were times when we just chatted away with only half an eye on the game... I especially grew to hate the "boot-the-ball-up-the-field-and-see-if-anyone-drops-it" tactic which happened with such boring regularity. I reckon there only about four halves of excellent rugby played throughout the entire tournament.
aaaaaaaargh!